The project activities are grouped into the following main components:
1. Developing an efficient institutional structure for the departments of the EEAA concerned with hazardous substances and waste management
2. Capacity building
3. Implementing an operational framework for the EEAA in relation to the management of hazardous substances and other waste
4. Revising legislation to improve and strengthen the management of hazardous substances and other waste
The planned outcomes of the project are:
1. Stronger institutional capacity in the EEAA departments involved in hazardous substances and waste management with a focus on improved cooperation and coordination between key stakeholders
2. Reinforced technical capacity among key Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs (MSEA)/EEAA personnel involved in hazardous substances and waste management.
3. An integrated strategy for hazardous substances and waste management (ISHSWM) implemented or ready for implementation with all the necessary communication and coordination mechanisms in place, action plans approved, adjusted and operational (EHSIMS).
4. Strengthened capacity in the Legal Unit of the MSEA/ EEAA.
5. Egyptian legislation on hazardous substances and waste management aligned with the relevant EU legal framework.