The contract for the twinning project on ‘Institutional Strengthening of the General Authority For Investment and Free Zones (GAFI)' was signed on 3 January 2008 by the GAFI, affiliated to the Ministry of Investment, and the Technical Assistance Board, affiliated to the French Ministry for Economic Affairs, Finance and Industry. This twinning project is worth 1,500,000 Euros and its implementation phase will take 24 months.
This institutional twinning project involves the Egyptian Ministry of Investment, the BMWi from Germany and Austrian Agency for Economic Development (AED).
The planned outcomes of the project are:
- To contribute to the achievement of higher rates of growth and increased inflows of capital, expertise and technology
- To strengthen national policy and the institutional framework for investment promotion in Egypt
- To help GAFI become more customer-focused and pro-active in attracting investment through restructuring management practices
The project activities are grouped into the following main components:
1. Strategic planning, sectoral analysis and regulatory reform
2. Investment promotion and international marketing
3. Management reform and development